This module is for Algebra 1, Grades 7-12 Welcome
The study of mathematics begins with the study of patterns. You can find all kinds of patterns in the world around you. There is a pattern in how the size of the population in your home town grows. There is a pattern in how the temperature rises and falls throughout the day. In this module, you will explore arithmetic patterns and geometric patterns in the world around us, and use mathematics to explain and apply the patterns you discover.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Identify a given sequence as either arithmetic or geometric.
- Extend arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences to find missing values.
- Compare how the quantities in arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences in given situations can grow or decrease as the situations continue.
- Determine the common difference in an arithmetic sequence.
- Determine the common ratio, or constant factor, in a geometric sequence.
- Extend arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences to find values in order to solve problems.
- Use tables and patterns to find the quantity at which point a given geometric sequence exceeds the quantities in an arithmetic sequence.